YOUR GEARBOX WILL BREAK
Not if, but when.
Sell it before you break it… or if you’ve already broken it then here’s the solution.
Z32 Gearbox Conversion Kit – Version 5
CONVERT TO THE STRONG FS5W30A Z32/300ZX GEARBOX
An unmodified “FS5W30A” gearbox is capable of 10 second quarter miles. There are also many aftermarket upgrades available from helical, straight, syncro and dog which is good for 8 second quarters. This gearset is used in the following:
- R32 GTR Skyline (RB26DETT)
- R33 GTR Skyline (RB26DETT)
- R33 GTS25T Skyline (RB25DET)
- R34 GTT Skyline (RB25DET)
- Z32 300ZX Fairlady (VG30DE, VG30DETT)
The Z32 300ZX gearbox is the cheapest “version” and you get the same gearset, the same strength, the same the gear ratios – near identical to SR20 ratios, and Z32 gearboxes are the same in both non-turbo and twin-turbo 300ZX’s.
Only when using the Alpha Omega Racing Z32 Gearbox Conversion Kit “Z32GCK” will it fit neatly in the Silvia chassis – parts are engineered to ensure no hammering and no cutting of your metal panels. A trim of the plastic for clearance to the off-centre shifter is recommended.
Z32GCK with optional Dampened Roller Bearing Short Shifter
ABOUT THE ADAPTER PLATE
In all the years – since 2009 – we’ve made gearbox adapters we have had exactly zero issues and zero complaints: we got this down pat. It wasn’t really all that difficult… just expensive; CNC machines are repeatable 24/7, the CMM is accurate to 0.001mm, and we didn’t take shortcuts – it’s one thick billet piece of 360° alloy to ensure rigidity and reliability, keeps all 4 genuine OEM Nissan alignment dowels in their factory locations and then added other little thoughtful features.
We custom engineered it to use additional fasteners – 16 high tensile bolts – to secure the gearbox onto the motor; this is significantly more than other options out there. Alpha Omega Racing is the only company to do the following; we mapped out extra-but-blanked holes in the Z32 gearbox, then we machined corresponding holes into our billet adapter, then give you the instructions on exactly where and how to drill out those holes.
A wonderful side benefit of the thick billet adapter and the ample number of bolts is that it gives you increased engine reliability! Block braces and girdles strengthen in the horizontal plane, the billet gearbox adapter strenthens the engine in the vertical plane. Autospeed states Nissan “…concentrated on the rigidity of the engine (and of the engine/trans combination, which used 10 connecting bolts) by using a main bearing girdle, the two-piece sump and the closed-deck block.”
We manufacture chassis-specific parts, and the parts are different!
- If you have an S15 with the 6-speed gearbox then:
- No flywheel spacer is used
- *No* bellhousing machining is required
- If you have an S13 or S14 then:
- No flywheel spacer is used
- Bellhousing machine *is* required; the installation manual includes all machining instructions or we have a swap-and-go machined bellhousing available too
- If you have already done some other gearbox conversion and want to upgrade to Alpha Omega, then Contact Us for a customised solution
- All bolt holes and alignment dowels are CMM accurate to 0.001mm
- 16 high tensile silver bolts
- Reliefs for dust, dirt, and slave
- Genuine Nissan OEM alignment dowels included
- Anodised Type II
ABOUT THE CROSSMEMBER
Also 100% CNC machined from three solid pieces of billet alloy. Over the first 7 years of performing gearbox conversions we started noticing some chassis’ were slightly twisted and the old sheetmetal crossmember would not fit. Version 5’s crossmember is a 3-piece design that is adjustable in multiple directions to ensure a great fit for every vehicle.
- 3-piece design; adjustable in all directions
- Guaranteed easy install
- Anodised Type II
CNC machined 3 piece billet alloy cross member, multi-adjustable
ABOUT THE SHIFTER
The Z32 300ZX gearbox features an offset “remote shifter” which allows us to reposition the shifter so it comes out of the standard Silvia shifter hole. See the tech article “Choosing a gearbox conversion for your S-Chassis?” for more information. As part of the repositioning, the shifter movement is not a normal H-pattern, the shifter position is offset to the left, and a shave of the plastics is recommended for clearance. If you don’t like this then we totally understand – yes, really – that’s why we went back to the drawing board and engineered the R33GCK-Factory: perfect in every single possible way – yes, really – there are absolutely zero compromises.
- Shifter bracket is CNC laser made from thick 5mm steel for a positive shifting feel
- 2-piece shift linkage, CNC machined from solid pieces of billet alloy
- Shifter comes out of the standard shifter hole, no cutting metal required
- It’s not in the perfect spot, it doesn’t move normal H-pattern, and shaving plastic is recommended
Z32GCK installed with optional Dampened Roller Bearing Short Shifter
OTHER TRICKS AND FEATURES
FLYWHEEL / CLUTCHES:
No flywheel spacer is used here. Re-use your current SR20 flywheel and clutch kit, or use any aftermarket SR20 flywheel/clutch kit designed for your car – all single and multiplate clutches are compatible with the Alpha Omega Racing design.
Alpha Omega Racing raises the back of the gearbox as much as possible by providing a super low “upper rear extension housing” cover plate. WITHOUT the low profile plate the gearbox is tilted 5º down, WITH the super low plate the gearbox is tilted only 2º. No other company provides this super low cover. Nearly all other Silvia gearbox conversions will need over 5º of tiling except this, and the R33GCK-Factory which is has zero degrees of tilt.
All necessary bits and bobs are included for installation, you will not have to run out to the shop to buy anything else and you can re-use your current gearknob too!
Included is a professionally printed step-by-step instruction manual with full colour pictures, surprisingly handy to have next to you during the install. Any licensed mechanic will be able to carry out the installation and no specialist tools are required.
Z32GCK installed in an S13
- No hammering or cutting of any metal
- Re-use your current flywheel and clutch kit, or use any kit made for your Silvia
- Shifter comes out the standard shifter hole
- Adjustable CNC machined 3-piece billet crossmember for a guaranteed excellent fit
- Made in Australia so you know it’s done right
The Z32GCK kit includes everything needed to install and adjust the Z32 gearbox:
- 1-piece CNC machined billet aluminium gearbox adapter plate
- 2-piece CNC machined billet aluminium shifter linkage
- 3-piece CNC machined billet aluminium cross member, multi-adjustable
- Laser CNC shifter bracket, 5mm steel for a positive shifting feel
- CNC machined billet aluminium super low upper extension housing cover
- CNC machined billet aluminium Z32 gearbox starter motor cover
- 2x CNC machined billet aluminium clutch fine tuning rings
- 2x genuine Nissan OEM alignment dowels
- Zinc coated high tensile silver nuts, bolts and other hardware
- Full step-by-step installation instructions with colour pictures
You need the following parts to make it all work:
- Z32 300ZX manual gearbox (with its sensors, shifter and slave cylinder)
- Non-turbo or twin-turbo, both will work perfectly
- Custom tailshaft
Some modifications are necessary.
*NOTES ON THE VARIOUS VG30/Z32 GEARBOXES
This product is engineered to work with the rear wheel drive Nissan 300ZX / Fairlady Z32 VG30DE (non-turbo) and VG30DETT (twin-turbo) 5 speed manual gearboxes code FS5W30A with 40mm input shaft spline length and the push-style clutch release mechanism.
Made in Australia